How to distinguish the acrylic sheet made by pure material or recycle
Currently in china, there are mainly two types of acrylic sheet: One is made by pure material, the other is made by recycle materials called PMMA sheet. Recycle material after processing (thermal degradation), generate MMA (methyl methacrylate) monomer, which is made by chemical polymerization. A lot of acrylic manufacturer in pursuit of profit, production technology is poor, produced the degradation of monomer, the purity is not high. The products which has low quality, but the price is relatively cheaper than pure material.
So how do we identify acrylic consists of new material or recycle to the material production? The difference between the new material and recycle ? Actually, to distinguish whether acrylic sheet is made by new material or not, it is easy, as long as we follow three principles: see, touch, it should be work.
First of all, we could judge from the acrylic appearance
1. See: Recycle ones appearance yellow-ish, particularly from the cross section;
2. Touch: The surface easy to scrape
3. Smell: Recycle ones have strong irritating smell. It produces pungent odor while cutting and burning.
Second, to distinguish from the product characteristics
Use of new materials in the production of MMA plate is characterized by:
1. Thickness tolerance is around 0.1 mm to 0.2 mm, bubbles are small
2. Almost same thickness (in the reasonable tolerance range), surface tends to be crystal
3. Excellent UV resistance, 3 years do not fade or crack under normal outdoor condition
4. Light transmittance is greater than 90%, the cross-section should be transparent
5. Surface is hard, and should be similar to aluminum and brass
6. Good cracking resistance and chemical resistance
8. With high quality of the protective film, provide adequate protection
But with the MMA recycle plank material, it has various defects, the specific performances are :
1. UV resistance is very poor, up to half a year will be yellow-ish,easily get cracked under the sun.
2. Thickness differences up to 0.5 mm, bubbles and more unstable
3. Cross section turns yellow-ish, although adding the whitening agent, at beginning it reduces the yellow-ish, but after a while, the yellow is coming back.
4. Surface hardness is low, easy to scratch
5. Easy to crack
6. The poor quality of the film, the aging metamorphism